Following Shooting Attack, Israeli Army Keeps Up Closure of Palestinian Village

An assailant shot three bullets at a car carrying six children and their parents on Saturday, wounding the father.

Gili Cohen
Gili Cohen
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Drivers wait in front of a closed gate at an entrance to the West Bank village of Sa'ir on July 10, 2016 as the Israeli army keeps the area under lockdown.
Drivers wait in front of a closed gate at an entrance to the West Bank village of Sa'ir on July 10, 2016 as the Israeli army keeps the area under lockdown.Credit: Hazem Bader, AFP
Gili Cohen
Gili Cohen

The Israeli military continued on Sunday its closure of the Palestinian village of Sa'ir north of Hebron following a drive-by shooting a day earlier.

On Saturday, shots were fired at an Israeli family driving toward the West Bank settlement of Tekoa. The father of the family was moderately wounded, while his wife and six children were unharmed.

According to an initial investigation carried out by the army, the assailant shot three bullets at the family's car, and then escaped the scene, apparently toward the village of Sa'ir. At first the IDF also imposed a closure on the nearby village of Al-Aroub, but removed it on Sunday, only closing off Sa'ir.

The attack was carried out on Saturday night at Sa'ir Junction, near the settlement of Metzad. The assailant shot in the direction of the family, which was on its way to visit the mother's parents. After the shots were fired the family quickly drove to Tekoa Junction, where it met up with security forces. The father was treated at the scene and then taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem.

"The children didn’t get it. While driving, I shouted to my wife 'what about the kids,' and she told me 'go, go, there's no time now,'" the father recounted from hospital. "I asked the eldest son if everyone's alright and he asked what happened. They didn’t understand what happened."

According to him, "We drove quickly for about a quarter of an hour with a pool of blood. Just as we got there my wife told me 'drive a little further,' but I couldn’t. I parked the car, my wife got out to call the soldiers and then they gave me a tourniquet."

Last Friday, an Israeli was murdered in a shooting attack in the West bank. Michael Mark, a resident of the Otniel settlement, was driving with his family on Route 60 when their car came under fire. Mark's wife, Chava, was seriously wounded in the attack, and two of their children were moderately and lightly hurt.

A day earlier, a 13-year-old Israeli girl, Hallel Yaffa Ariel, was stabbed to death in her sleep in the settlement of Kiryat Arba, by a 17-year-old Palestinian assailant. That same day, a Palestinian assailant stabbed two people in the central Israeli city of Netanya, wounding them moderately and lightly before being shot dead by a civilian.

Click the alert icon to follow topics:



Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

Already signed up? LOG IN


בנימין נתניהו השקת ספר

Netanyahu’s Israel Is About to Slam the Door on the Diaspora

עדי שטרן

Head of Israel’s Top Art Academy Leads a Quiet Revolution

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

Skyscrapers in Ramat Gan and Tel Aviv.

Israel May Have Caught the Worst American Disease, New Research Shows

ג'אמיל דקוור

Why the Head of ACLU’s Human Rights Program Has Regrets About Emigrating From Israel


Netanyahu’s Election Win Dealt a Grievous Blow to Judaism