Israel to Resume Cement Deliveries to Gaza After UN Assurances

UN special envoy promises Israel that cement will not reach Hamas, with additional inspectors being posted on Palestinian side of border.

Gili Cohen
Gili Cohen
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
A Palestinian worker walks next to a truck loaded with sacks of cement at the Kerem Shalom border crossing on its way from Israel to Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, Oct. 14, 2014.
A Palestinian worker walks next to a truck loaded with sacks of cement at the Kerem Shalom border crossing on its way from Israel to Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, Oct. 14, 2014.Credit: AP
Gili Cohen
Gili Cohen

Israel will resume cement deliveries to the Gaza Strip on Monday, following United Nations assurances that the cement will not be used by Hamas.

Following a hiatus lasting some six weeks, Israel agreed to resume supplies to the private sector in Gaza after UN special envoy Nickolay Mladenov promised to ensure it doesn’t reach Hamas. One of the preventative steps involves stationing additional Palestinian inspectors on the Gaza side of the Kerem Shalom border crossing.

Mladenov also told Israel that the cement Hamas had stolen from private-sector contractors has been returned to them.

A Palestinian whose home was destroyed in the 2014 Gaza war protests against the ban of private cement imports in front of the UNDP headquarters in Gaza City, April 20, 2016.Credit: Mohammed Abed, AFP

However, Israel warned that if the cement reaches Hamas again, it will stop all cement from entering the Strip – not only for the private sector, as it did last time, but also for international organizations running projects in Gaza. Those projects, which include the construction of schools and hospitals, were unaffected by the last freeze.

In April, Maj. Gen. Yoav Mordechai, coordinator of government activities in the territories, suspended cement shipments to Gaza’s private sector. On COGAT’s Arabic-language Facebook page, he said the decision was made because Israel had learned that some of the cement – which was meant to be used to rebuild houses damaged or destroyed in the Hamas-Israel war of 2014 – had been seized by Imad al-Baz, a Hamas official who serves as deputy-director general of Gaza’s Economy Ministry. This, Mordechai wrote, was a “gross violation” of the agreements Israel reached with the international community after the summer 2014 war.

Under those agreements, the cement was to be used only for civilian reconstruction work. Because Hamas has previously used cement primarily to build its network of cross-border attack tunnels, the agreements stipulated that none of the cement would go to Hamas. Nevertheless, the Islamist organization has been actively trying to rebuild its tunnel network in recent months.

“We regret that Hamas is continuing to exploit and harm the entire Palestinian population for the sake of the organization’s personal interests,” COGAT’s April statement added.

Click the alert icon to follow topics:

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

בנימין נתניהו השקת ספר

Netanyahu’s Israel Is About to Slam the Door on the Diaspora

עדי שטרן

Head of Israel’s Top Art Academy Leads a Quiet Revolution

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

Skyscrapers in Ramat Gan and Tel Aviv.

Israel May Have Caught the Worst American Disease, New Research Shows

ג'אמיל דקוור

Why the Head of ACLU’s Human Rights Program Has Regrets About Emigrating From Israel

ISRAEL-VOTE

Netanyahu’s Election Win Dealt a Grievous Blow to Judaism