Two Israeli children aged three and five died on Friday afternoon when a fire spread in their home in the central city of Netanya. The children were gravely injured in the fire, and were evacuated to receive emergency medical care at the hospital, where they were eventually pronounced dead.
Six more people who had been at the apartment building while the fire erupted – a man and a woman in their forties, and four children aged two to six – were lightly wounded from smoke inhalation and were evacuated to the Laniado Hospital for further treatment.
According to Magen David Adom, the fire broke out on the first floor of a two-story building. Firefighters assess that an improvised electric connection in the apartment created a short circuit, which ultimately caused the fire.
The commander of the firefighting services' central district, Eyal Caspi, told Channel 13 News that the room where the children had been when the fire started "was a construction addition. It was an improvised room, with no way out of it and no basic defense systems."
A paramedic who was at the scene said that when first responders arrived, they saw "thick smoke rising out of a two-story building. Firefighters rescued two children aged three and five out of the burning apartment; they were unconscious and had suffered burns and smoke inhalation."
"We immediately started advanced operations to resuscitate them, and evacuated them to the hospital in critical condition. We also treated a man and a woman in their forties who were rescued from the apartment. They suffered smoke inhalation and were evacuated to the hospital in stable condition," added the paramedic.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now