Terror Warning in Northern Israel Lifted After Israeli Arab Arrested

Woman arrested in Nahariya after area goes on lockdown amid fears of pending terror attack.

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Roadblocks in Nahariya amid threat of terror attack. January 11, 2016.
Roadblocks in Nahariya amid threat of terror attack. January 11, 2016.Credit: Ilan Assayag
Noa Shpigel
Noa Shpigel

Roadblocks were erected in the northern Israel on Monday evening following a security warning over a feared terrorist attack. Large numbers of security forces were dispatched to the Western Galilee, including the Nahariya area, but the warning was cancelled a short time later after a female suspect was apprehended in a taxi in the city.

The 28-year-old Israeli Arab woman cut off ties with her family after marrying in Jerusalem, a relative told Haaretz, adding that the family condemns any form of violence.

In a separate inicident on Monday morning, a large contingent of police and Border Police forces were deployed throughout the south after a warning was received that a Palestinian woman from the West Bank intended to carry out a terrorist attack in Sderot. Roadblocks were set up in Sderot, Ashdod and Ashkelon, but they were removed when it became clear that the woman had not managed to enter Israel.

The information regarding an impending terrorist attack in the south came from the Shin Bet security service, police said, initially saying that explosives were being laid to be detonated, but later it was said that the attack was expected to be committed by stabbing.

In a third incident during the day, a Palestinian man attempted to stab a solder at an inspection post in the northern West Bank settlement of Hermesh. The Palestinian was shot and wounded, but no Israelis were injured.

During the security alert, a picture of the female suspect, a resident of the West Bank Palestinian village of Beit Sira, across the security barrier from the Israeli town of Maccabim-Reut, was distributed through WhatsApp, the smartphone-based messaging service. Police sources confirmed that the picture was in fact that of the suspect. At Kibbutz Erez near Sderot, security forces took a man into custody for questioning whom they said had been in contact with the woman.

Last week Ahmed Khatib, a 20-year-old East Jerusalem resident, was apprehended in Herzliya after he was suspected of intending to commit a terrorist attack in the Tel Aviv suburb. Security forces launched a wide-ranging search for Hatib, who left home after an argument with his father and after he said he planned to carry out an attack. On the way to the Tel Aviv area, he ran a police roadblock. His car was later found in Herzliya.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: