Case Against Jaffa Residents Who Confessed to Attacking Soldier Dropped After Video Emerges

Ran Shimoni
Ran Shimoni
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
One of the suspects at the Tel Aviv Magistrate's Court, in June.
One of the suspects at the Tel Aviv Magistrate's Court, in June.Credit: Moti Milrod
Ran Shimoni
Ran Shimoni

Prosecutors on Wednesday withdrew the indictment they filed six months ago against three Arab residents of Jaffa for an assault and attempted murder of a soldier. The three had confessed to committing the crimes during a Shin Bet investigation, but a video showed they were not present at the scene of the crime.

The prosecution argued that none of the cameras that filmed the attack on the soldier had “documentation that enabled the identification of those involved in the incident.” The video of the incident from security cameras showed that the three men were not at the scene when the incident occurred.

LISTEN: 'Biden has only one real option on Iran. Israel will have to live with it'

-- : --

Prosecutors said it seemed they “arrived at the scene of the incident just a few minutes after the attack on the soldier.”

Three other defendants in the case will still be prosecuted in the mob attack on the soldier, which occurred during the riots in Jaffa during Operation Guardian of the Walls in May, which left him hospitalized in serious condition with a cerebral hemorrhage and skull fracture. 

The three confessed to the crimes during questioning by the Shin Bet security service, but later retracted their confessions. Two of them were held in jail for four months, and the third was detained for three.

Prosecutors also dropped charges for the attack against another defendant but kept the charges of incitement and supporting a terrorist organization, because of the messages he sent before and after the attack.

The four suspects were arrested in June for assaulting soldier Lior Shernin, 19, in Jaffa for ideological reasons. Some of the defendants confessed during questioning to participating in the attack, but later retracted their confessions. The indictments against the other two men, remain.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: