Police announced Tuesday they would be investigating how information on the phone of former Israel Bar Association chairman Efraim Nave reached people outside the police and prosecution. The probe will not delve into the content of the information or the reports of Nave’s relationship with various judges.
Most of the phone material reached the police and prosecution through journalist Hadas Shteif, who was involved in hacking the phone and extracting the information with two other people.
Prosecutors say they haven’t seen all the material from the phone, but gave it to a magistrate’s court judge so he would issue a search warrant, so they themselves could find the information Shteif had told them about, relating to the suspicions of criminal acts by Nave and Judge Eti Craif.
They say they have not seen any of the other material on the phone, even though the prosecution still has it. People close to Nave also had access to the information. The leak was first reported by Channel 13 News.
Last week, in an exceptional move, the Courts Administration said it did not object to publishing messages found on Nave’s phone, saying the gag order originally issued had been at Nave’s request.