Police Retract Terror Accusation Against Palestinian Killed by Cops

It was initially claimed that a vehicle had tried to run them over, but the driver is no longer suspected of terrorism after his brother was shot dead in the passenger seat, while video records two more gunshots after the car had stopped.

Palestinians surround the car of Mustafa Nimer, who Israeli police initially said attempted to ram policemen and was consequently shot and killed in Shoafat near Jerusalem September 5, 2016.
Ammar Awad, Reuters

Police in Jerusalem Tuesday retracted their claim that the police shooting resulting in the death of Mustafa Nimr at the Shoafat refugee camp on Monday was the result of an attempted terror attack.

Ali Nimr, the driver of the vehicle in which his cousin Mustafa sat, was arrested only because of driving without a license, driving while intoxicated and reckless endangerment with a vehicle. A video clip that Channel 10 broadcast last night raises additional questions regarding the incident. Two shots are heard in the video after the vehicle stopped and the driver was removed.

Mustafa Nimr, 27, grew up in the camp but was living in Ramat Gan with his Jewish girlfriend. He and Ali had returned from a night out in Anata to the family home in Shoafat on Monday before dawn. His brother and Mustafa’s girlfriend rode in the car behind. When they reached the camp, police officers who had been in the camp for a raid opened fired on them. Police initially claimed that Ali had tried to run over the police officers. Mustafa was shot several times and died soon afterward. Ali was hit and moderately wounded.

Eyewitnesses denied that the car had endangered police. They said the two cars carrying the men and women were in a race and the drivers didn’t even notice the police, who were dressed in black and stood in a dark spot. The Channel 10 video shows them threatening Ali and pulling him forcefully from the car. After he is seen lying on the ground, with Mustafa wounded or dead, two more shots are heard, whose source is unclear.

Ali, who is still hospitalized, is no longer a terror suspect, but rather is suspected of driving without a license, driving while intoxicated and vehicular endangerment. The public defender representing him said he claims he was not traveling at high speed and did not hear the police call on him to stop, and that he didn’t try to hit anybody. His remand was extended by two days.

Police said, “Immediately after the incident the Police Investigation Unit was briefed, and the matter has been transferred to them for examination.”