Family Attacks 18-year-old With Acid So She Wouldn't Do 'Shameful Things,' Israeli Police Suspect

Father confessed to attacking his daughter, who was hospitalized in serious condition, when she came home for Eid al-Fitr after refusing to move back in with the family

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Rambam Health Care Campus in Haifa, 2016.
Rambam Health Care Campus in Haifa, 2016.Credit: Hagai Frid

The police suspect an 18-year-old woman from northern Israel was attacked by her family by having acid thrown in her face. When she was hospitalized two weeks ago in serious condition, the family claimed she had tried to commit suicide.

When first questioned, the father denied attacking his daughter. According to the police, he later confessed, saying he had done so to make her ugly, so that others would not look at her and so she would not do “shameful things.”

Her 17-year-old brother admitted that the father had poured the acid and that the two of them had beaten the woman.

The woman's parents, brother and sister, all residents of the Wadi Ara area, are expected to be formally indicted in the coming days, after police on Thursday filed preliminary charges against them at the Hadera Magistrate's Court.

The investigation showed that the woman had been invited by her family to celebrate Eid al-Fitr, the holiday marking the end of Ramadan. When she arrived, her father asked her to return and live at home, but she refused.

At that point the young woman was worried that her father would hurt her and wanted to call the police, but her sister grabbed her phone from her hands. It was then, police suspect, that the family started to assault her.

Her father poured hydrochloric acid on her head and body, and her brother threw various objects at her. The father asked the brother to bring him a metal rod, and the two started to beat her until an uncle who lives nearby came to the house and stopped them.

The woman was unconscious when she was taken to the Rambam Health Care Campus in Haifa, and had sustained blows and burns on her face and body; she had nearly lost her eyesight. The family said at the time that she had tried to kill herself by drinking acid and jumping from the roof.

According to the police, she regained consciousness the following day and told a nurse that her family had assaulted her.

Investigators came to the hospital and took her statement. Her descriptions raised suspicions that her parents had thrown acid at her, assisted by her brother and sister. They also beat her with metal rods and clubs, later trying to pass off her injuries as the result of a failed suicide attempt.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: