Palestinians Call for Day of Rage in Jerusalem After Teen Reportedly Shot Dead

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Palestinian protesters run away from tear gas fired by Israeli soldiers during clashes after Friday payers in Ras al-Amud. July 4, 2014.
Palestinian protesters run away from tear gas fired by Israeli soldiers during clashes in Ras al Amud in 2014.Credit: Reuters

A 17-year-old Palestinian from Silwan was shot to death by Israeli security forces in East Jerusalem's Ras al-Amud, Palestinian sources said on Sunday, prompting local Palestinian groups to call for a "day of rage" Monday. Violent clashes between youths and the police broke out in the area following the incident.

According to the Israel Police, a Border Police unit operating in the village shot a Palestinian holding a Molotov cocktail after coming under a barrage of 10 firebombs. The unit shot at their lower body, but did not identify a certain hit, it added.

Images of Ayman al-Abasi's body were circulated on Palestinian social media, depicting a bullet wound to his stomach. The Palestinian health ministry reported that Abasi suffered a live bullet wound to the chest, and was proclaimed dead at a local clinic he was transferred to.

In response, Palestinian organizations in Jerusalem, including the Fatah's youth movement, have called for a "day of rage and mourning" Monday in wake of the death of Abasi, who was a member of the movement.

"We call for an escalation against the occupation in wake of the murder and execution of the martyr Abasi." According the group, the day of rage is the "adequate response to the Israeli government's ongoing policy of executions against the Palestinian people."

Meanwhile, the Palestinian health service reported that it treated 70 casualties across the West Bank on Sunday. The casualties included six people who were wounded by live fire – five in Tul Karm and one in Bethlehem, as well as six people who were wounded by rubber bullets – three in El Bireh near Ramallah and another three in Bethlehem. Fifty-six people were treated for tear gas-related injuries throughout the West Bank.

Earlier Sunday, a Border Policeman and a 30-year-old woman were wounded in two stabbing attacks in Jerusalem.

The woman, who was stabbed in the back while waiting at a bus stop on Shmagar Street in Jerusalem, was named by media as Hisorai Taplaya, 31, a foreign worker from Nepal.

In the first incident of Sunday, a Border Police officer in his 20s was wounded at the entrance to the Old City of Jerusalem. The Palestinian assailant was shot and killed.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: