A Palestinian teen was killed and dozens were wounded during an Israeli army operation in the West Bank refugee camp of al Fawwar near Hebron on Tuesday, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.
- Israel admits cutting West Bank water supply, but blames Palestinian Authority
- Israel lays groundwork for possible settlement expansion southeast of Jerusalem
- Israeli military demolishes home of Palestinian who killed 13-year-old Hallel Ariel
According to the ministry, 17-year-old Mohammed Abu Hashash was hit by live fire to the chest.
The Israeli military confirmed that 23 have been wounded, and said that they had been struck in their lower extremities by rounds from the "Ruger" rifle, considered to have less force than live fire. The IDF said that had detained three Palestinians wanted for interrogation. In contrast, the Palestinian Red Crescent reported that 25 had been wounded, and Palestinian sources said 40 were wounded.
Eye witnesses said that Israeli forces had surrounded the refugee camp and that medical teams were struggling to reach and evacuate the wounded for care. Sources in al Fawwar claimed that some of those wounded were in serious condition and that both rubber and regular bullets had been fired.
"There's an unprecedented attack on the refugee camp," a Palestinian activist in the camp told Haaretz. "It's been going on for hours and hours, and everyone's silent, both the (Palestinian) Authority and international organizations."
The IDF Spokesperson's Unit said that the large number of troops had entered al Fawwar in order to arrest suspects, to search for illegal weapons and to summon individuals for questioning. Violent clashes erupted when the soldiers were met by a hail of stones, Molotov Cocktails and improvised explosives, said the IDF. Israeli troops then responded with crowd control measures, including the use of the "Ruger" rifle. At least four were shot after throwing concrete blocks at the soldiers.
Meanwhile, Palestinian eye witnesses reported that the Civil Administration had demolished 10 buildings overnight including apartments and others that were constructed without permits in the town of Si'ir, near Hebron and in Bayt Jala near Bethlehem.
The mayor of Si'ir, Kaid Jaradat, said that in a north-eastern neighborhood located in Area C, eight buildings were demolished.
"These are homes where entire families live who were evicted from their homes and are left without a roof over their heads," said Jaradat.
An owner of one of the destroyed homes said that the family had been trying for two years to get a permit, but had failed. He said that 55 people had been left homeless as a result of the demolitions.