A 20-year-old Palestinian was killed on Saturday by Israeli army fire, following clashes between residents of the West Bank village of Qusra and Israeli settlers, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.
Palestinian officials reported the man, Farid Ali Hassan, was hit with a live bullet in his chest. He was rushed from the scene, near Nablus, to Beilinson Hospital in Petah Tikva, in central Israel, where he was pronounced dead.
According to Palestinian reports, two other Palestinians were wounded by Israeli fire during the clashes, which began after settlers attacked Qusra.
An Israeli military spokesperson said that soldiers had been trying to disperse confrontations that erupted between Israeli settlers and Palestinians from a nearby village in the West Bank. The troops then saw a man throw an explosive device at them from a rooftop and "responded with fire against the suspect in order to eliminate the danger," the spokesperson said.
- Reality of a West Bank outpost: Four dead Palestinians and a drone spraying tear gas
- Who’d have thought the Evyatar settlers would go quietly?
- Dismantle the unauthorized Evyatar West Bank outpost
Ghassan Douglas, the Palestinian Authority official in charge of the settlement file in the northern West Bank, told Palestinian media talks are underway with Israel to retrieve Hassan’s body and bring him to burial.
Tensions in this part of the West Bank were running high over the past week over the evacuation of the Evyatar settlement outpost on Friday. On Saturday, another demonstration was held in the neighboring town of Beita.
Reuters contributed to this report.