Israel Shells Gaza Outpost After Two Palestinians Breach Border; One Said Killed

IDF says shots were fired at troops while chasing the two Palestinians, who crossed into Israel to carry out an attack

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
An Israeli tank near the border fence with the Gaza Strip, May 28, 2018.
An Israeli tank near the border fence with the Gaza Strip, May 28, 2018.Credit: \ Eliyahu Hershkovitz

The Israeli military said it fired shells at an outpost in the northern Gaza Strip Monday after Israeli forces arrested two Palestinians for breaching the border and crossing into Israel from Gaza.

Shots were fired toward Israeli forces while chasing the two, who, according to the Israel Defense Forces, were found to be carrying knives, flammable material and tools to cut the border fence. The IDF added that the two entered Israel with the aim of carrying out an attack.

According to Gaza's Health Ministry, a man was killed in the Israeli strike and a second sustained moderate wounds. The ministry identified the former as Mohammad Ardia, 30, and said one of the men was a member of an armed faction.

Meanwhile, the ministry said a Palestinian man who was shot by Israeli forces near the border fence in the Gaza Strip died of his wounds. The man, Nasser Arf al-Arini, 28, was critically wounded two weeks ago in eastern Jabalya, a city in northern Gaza.

The death of al-Arini raised the number of Palestinians killed in the Gaza Strip since March 30, the start of the demonstrations, to 117. In the past few days, two other Palestinians succumbed to wounds they sustained protesting along the fence: Yasser Habib, 24, and Hussein Abu Awida, 41.

According to Gaza's Health Ministry, 330 Palestinians who were wounded by Israeli army fire during the weekly demonstrations are still in serious condition. During last Friday's border protest, 109 wounded Gazans were evacuated to hospitals. No fatalities nor serious injuries were reported.

On Sunday morning, the Israeli army struck a Hamas target in the southern Gaza Strip with tank fire, killing three Palestinians. The Israeli army said the attack came in response to an explosive charge being placed near the fence, which exploded while being dismantled.

The reports come hours after the Israeli air force attacked Hamas targets near Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip Saturday night. The IDF said the targets were struck in response to an incident earlier Saturday, in which four Palestinians from Gaza crossed the border fence into Israel and threw a firebomb before fleeing back under Israeli fire.

According to the military, the four Palestinians were in Israel for about a minute and left behind a tent that read "The March of Return. Returning to the land of Palestine.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: