Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attacked the Breaking the Silence NGO during Sunday morning's cabinet meeting, saying that it works against Israel Defense Forces soldiers fighting terrorism.
- Breaking the Silence Under Investigation After Report Claims It Collects Military Intel
- Israel Needs Breaking the Silence
- Second and Third Israeli Victims in Istanbul Blast Named
"The attempt to discredit the soldiers of the IDF is wrong, but the attempt to gather intelligence on them is intolerable and is being taken care of by the relevant parties," Netanyahu said.
Netanyahu made his remarks against the backdrop of Saturday's bombing in Turkey and linked it to Breaking the Silence. He said that Israel is at the forefront of the battle against global terror.
"This battle is first and foremost military, but also moral," Netanyahu said. "The key point in this battle is to clarify that there is no justification for terror anywhere – not in Istanbul, not in the Ivory Coast and not in Jerusalem. Whoever doesn’t condemn terror supports terror."
Last week, Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon ordered the IDF to investigate whether classified material has been passed onto Breaking the Silence. The nongovernmental organization responded that all the soldiers’ testimonies it publishes are cleared by the military censor.
Ya’alon’s order followed a Channel 2 report on Thursday that claimed the NGO gathers information about military operations while collecting testimonies from former soldiers who served in the occupied territories.
Netanyahu blasted Breaking the Silence after the report was aired and said an investigation had been launched into the allegations. He added that the group has “crossed yet another red line.”