Jaffa Woman, Boyfriend Sentenced to 25 Years for Killing Her Mother

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Amir Marmash in a Tel Aviv court in 2018.
Amir Marmash in a Tel Aviv court in 2018.Credit: Moti Milrod
Bar Peleg
Bar Peleg

A young couple, Amir Marmash and Tracy Qadis, were sentenced on Thursday to 25 years in prison for murdering the woman's mother, 52-year-old Fadia Qadis, in Jaffa in 2018.

The couple pled guilty in a plea bargain to murder and obstruction of justice. In addition to the prison term Qadis and Marmash will pay compensation of 258,000 shekels ($75,000) to each of the victims' other children. Tracy was a minor at the time of the murder, Marmash and she attended the same highschool. 

According to their indictment in June, the couple plotted the murder for several weeks, and the motive was the victim’s opposition to their relationship, in part on religious grounds.

Tracy's father and Fadia's husband, Gabriel Qadis, was himself murdered outside his Jaffa church in 2012

Fadia Qadis.

Details of the crime revealed by the charge sheet show that on June 7, 2018 Tracy left the back door of her mother’s home unlocked and placed a scarf inside for Marmash to cover his face. At around 2:30 A.M. Marmash entered the home and showed Tracy his knife. They spent three hours in Tracy’s room, and she then asked him to carry out the murder.

When Marmash opened the door to her room, Fadia woke up, went into the hall and called for her daughter. When she noticed Marmash she screamed, “Take whatever you want and go away.” He stabbed her seven times, even after she fell down, and stopped only when the knife handle broke.

Marmash and Tracy cleaned the room to remove evidence. Marmash wrapped the body in a blanket and a sheet, placed it in a bathtub and locked the bathroom door, as part of their plan to tell relatives that Fadia had gone on vacation.

The following day, Tracy texted relatives from Fadia's phone, pretending to be out with a friend. Marmash sent Tracy and other family members texts saying that Fadia had gone on vacation and allowed him to stay at the house with her daughter. 

The two used Fadia's credit card to purchase food and book a hotel room from which they intended to escape. When Fadia's sons came looking for their mother, Marmash ran out of the house. He was arrested on the night of the murder. Tracy was arrested the following day.

"Amir deeply regrets his actions and the tragic outcome. The bargain reflects signficant revisions made to the original charge sheet in light of the legal arguments we've presented," said Marmash's attorneys Sharon Danieli and Itzik Peretz from the public defense office. 

Click the alert icon to follow topics: