The Israeli military said on Sunday that an investigation into the failed interception of two Syrian rockets last week found no fault in the decision-making process.
The attempted interception of the two Russian-made SS-21 missiles, which ultimately fell in southern Syria, was Israel's first operational use of its David's Sling missile-defense system.
Haaretz reported that one of the interceptors was ordered to self-destruct after it became clear that it would miss its target. Following the incident, the military said the interception was called off after it was believed that the missile would fall in Syrian territory.
In its statement, the military said that "additional, technical aspects of the incident cannot be published due to information security reasons" and that "all the conclusions of the investigation will be implemented."
The two missiles were launched by a unit in the Syrian military within minutes apart toward the border with Israel on the Golan Heights. It is believed that the missiles were fired as part of the infighting between the regime of President Bashar Assad and rebel enclaves near the border.
A preliminary investigation found that the interceptors were fired after it was thought that the missiles likely to fall south of the Kinneret, but one of the Syrian missiles changed course in flight and was expected to fall in Syria. One interceptor missile was therefore ordered to self-destruct.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now