Israeli Court Extends Ban on Jewish Terror Suspects Meeting Lawyers

The three minors arrested on Sunday will be allowed to consult with their attorneys on Saturday at the latest, court rules

Protesters rallying outside the court to demonstrate against arrest of minors, December 31, 2018.
Meged Gozani

An Israeli court ruled on Thursday that three Jewish minors suspected of involvement in a terror plot will be allowed to see their lawyers on Saturday evening at the latest.

The Lod District Court rejected a second time the minors' appeals against the decision to ban them from meeting their attorneys, but has agreed with state representatives that the ban would not be extended more than once.

The court on Monday extended the remand of the three suspects, who were arrested Sunday, and since then have not been permitted to consult with an attorney.

>> Outcry over Jewish terror suspect's rights may not help Palestinian detainees | Analysis ■ The flourishing of the Jewish KKK | Opinion

A gag order prohibits the publication of any details concerning the investigation or the suspects. 

The lawyers representing the suspects are extreme right-wing activist Itamar Ben Gvir and Nati Rom and Adi Kedar of NGO Honenu, which provides legal aid to Jewish terror suspects.

They said interrogators have violated the suspects' rights, and called on Shin Bet and poilce to refrain from interrogating the suspects during Shabbat. Shin Bet rejected these claims and said they were intended to "shift the discussion away from the reasons for their arrest."

The father of one of the suspects told Haaretz this week that he was surprised by his son's arrest. "He and his friends have nothing to do with those kind of actions," he said. "We have no idea where he is, what's he going through and what they're doing to him, but after all the abuse and torture revealed in the media we're really concerned for him."