The Israel Television News Company on Tuesday denied that it had ignored the agreed-upon terms for an interview with Monica Lewinsky.
Lewinsky cut short the interview and walked offstage after being asked whether she expected a personal apology from Bill Clinton, later explaining on Twitter that she had declared the exact question off limits beforehand.
"When [the interviewer] asked me it on stage, with blatant disregard for our agreement, it became clear to me I had been misled," she wrote. "I left because it is more important than ever for women to stand up for themselves and not allow others to control their narrative."
"The Israeli News Company stood up to all of its agreements with Ms. Lewinsky and honored her request," the broadcaster said in a statement to Haaretz. "We believe the question asked on stage was legitimate and respectful, and one that certainly does not go beyond Ms .Lewinsky's requests and does not cross the line. We thank Ms. Lewinsky for her insightful and honest talk at the conference, once again respect her sensitivity, and wish her all the best."
- Monica Lewinsky cuts off interview in Israel after Clinton question
- Monica Lewinsky breaks her 10-year silence
- WATCH: Monica Lewinsky talks about her online shaming, urges an end to cyber abuse
The interview took place at a conference organized by the Israel Television News Company, where Lewinsky delivered a speech.
Years after the scandal that turned her into a household name, Lewinsky is now a social activist and public speaker.
She elected only in 2014 to publicly discuss her relationship with the then-49-year-old president. In an essay, Lewinsky wrote that her affair with Clinton was one between two consenting adults and no abuse was involved – though she said that “my boss took advantage of me."
Clinton said earlier this year that he had not apologized to Lewinsky in private and thought it was unnecessary because he had apologized publicly.