Israel to Probe Guards Who Beat Palestinian Security Prisoners in Revenge for Jailbreak

Around ten Palestinian prisoners were handcuffed while beaten and some inmates claim they were denied medical treatment

Josh Breiner
Josh Breiner
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
The location the security prisoners escaped in September.
The location the security prisoners escaped in September.Credit: Gil Eliahu
Josh Breiner
Josh Breiner

Prison guards from Shata Prison were questioned on suspicion of beating security prisoners transferred there from Gilboa Prison, in response to the jailbreak of six Palestinian inmates in September.

It is suspected that the prisoners were beaten while handcuffed by three officers of the Israel Prison Services, with their clubs and by hands, and without prior provocation.

According to a source close to the investigation, the guards beat about ten prisoners.

Some of the inmates claimed that medical treatment was delayed and were only allowed to meet with their lawyers a few days after.

On September 6, a few hours after the escape of the six security prisoners from Wing 2 of Gilboa Prison, the Prisons Service transferred the inmates of the wing to other prisons, both in order to investigate the escape and due to a fear of riots. Dozens of inmates in the ward were moved to Shata Prison.

The incident was partially recorded on security cameras at the jail, and the documentation was handed over to the unit responsible for investigating misconduct in the prison system, which is under the police’s Lahav 433 national investigations unit.

Two of the officers suspected of beating the prisoners were removed from service.

The Israel Prison Service stated, "this case is being conducted by the national unit for the interrogation of prisoners on suspicion of using violence on prisoners and therefore, naturally, we are prevented from commenting."

The unit is also conducting an investigation into the incident in which Ketziot prison guards were recorded beating dozens of security prisoners when they took over a prison wing after a stabbing attack.

Despite the evidence, the police and the prosecutor's office decided to close the case on the grounds that the "offender was unknown," but it was recently reopened following an appeal by the inmates through Hamoked Center for the Defense of the Individual. 

Click the alert icon to follow topics: