A Palestinian held in Israel who went on a three-month hunger strike was released Thursday based on a deal struck about two and half months ago.
- Palestinian detainee ends hunger strike after deal reached with Israel
- Administrative detention: The shame of Israel's High Court
- Film about Palestinian hunger striker al-Qiq to be screened at Cannes festival
Mohammed al-Qiq, a 34-year-old journalist, was protesting the fact that he was being held in administrative detention, or detention without trial. He was released after the deal with the Israeli security services under which he ended his strike in exchange for a commitment to be freed on May 19.
Upon arriving back home in the West Bank town of Dura near Hebron, Qiq said his release was a moral victory for both himself and all Palestinians held by Israel. He said his struggle showed that Israel wasn’t willing to compromise over anything unless aggressive tactics were used.
Hundreds of people turned out to greet Qiq; the celebration included songs of praise for both Palestinian prisoners and Qiq.
Also Thursday, the Palestinian Prisoners Society announced that Israel’s military prosecution was reopening its investigation into another administrative detainee, Sami Janazra, and planned to indict him for incitement.
Last week, Janazra announced that he was ending a hunger strike that had lasted about 70 days in light of new developments in his case.