Family of Israeli Intel Officer Who Died in Military Prison to See Redacted Indictment

Prosecutors ask military court to allow some of the details of the officer's death, as well as his name, to be released to the public, arguing it would stave off conspiracy theories and fake news

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Representatives of the IDF Military Advocate General in the military court in Tel Aviv, Monday.
Representatives of the IDF Military Advocate General in the military court in Tel Aviv, Monday.Credit: Moti Milrod
Yaniv Kubovich

The military prosecution has agreed on Monday to share some details of the indictment against an Israeli intelligence officer who died in a military prison under mysterious circumstances with his family.

The Israel Defense Forces prosecutor requested on Sunday that the military court partially lift the gag order banning Israeli media from reporting the name of the officer and the circumstances of his death. However, the reason for his arrest and further details of the case itself will remain barred from publication.

The prosecution said that their request follows reports in the foreign and Israeli press over the past few days that did not abide by the gag order. "Some of them present misleading information, and presenting that misleading information has consequences on the [national] security level," the prosecution's statement said. In addition, it added, some provide "inaccurate information, to say the least," regarding a deceased military officer.

The officer’s family – from whom the details of the investigation have also been blocked – filed a request earlier Monday morning to delay any lifting of the gag order by the court. They claimed that the military prosecution must inform the family of the investigation's findings before the details of the case are made available to the general public.

The family's lawyer, Benny Kuznitz, said on Monday morning that "This is an attempt to create a narrative." He added, "They made the decision to release a few paragraphs and hide other things. Besides for the indictment, we have entire binders full of material from the investigation. I'm sure they can find a page or two for his parents, to put it mildly."

The hearing on the prosecution's request to release the information is currently being held at the military court in the IDF's Tel Aviv headquarters. If it is granted, IDF Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Ran Kochav is expected to release the information later the same day in order to quell the speculation about the case that has spread across social media.

The officer was found in his cell two weeks ago in serious condition, nine months after an indictment against him has been filed, and died later in a hospital. He was buried in a civilian cemetery, with the military saying this was because he had been discharged while in detention.

Last week, the military court allowed the media to report that the deceased officer had not been indicted for espionage or treason, and that he had never had contact with a foreign agent.

The officer’s family is furious about the army's handling of the affair, saying it had taken extreme measures to keep information about the case from the public – as well as from them. They claim that most of the officer’s social media presence since 2018 has been deleted.

"The family expects that they will receive all the information regarding the investigation into his death, as opposed to the security incidents attributed [to him]," Kuznitz said at the beginning of Monday's hearing. "We assume that there are things we do not know, and are waiting for a meeting with the prosecution."

Kuznitz said, "At the end of the day, this is a young officer, a good kid, a genius, a guy I knew to be very, very modest and did not exactly understand the significance of his actions. He had objections to the things he was accused of; these things cannot be clarified now in a court of law. We hope we can get additional details after the hearing today."

“We’re angry about the effort to erase a man who died in military prison,” said one relative. The family has yet to receive the results of the officer's autopsy. “We don’t know anything. To this day, no one has told us anything,” the relative said. “The army’s conduct looks like an attempt to cover up its failures. How can you try to erase a man like this?"

Click the alert icon to follow topics: