Clashes Erupt as Settlers Stay in Abandoned Israeli Army Post in West Bank

The movement behind Evyatar expressed intentions to establish a settlement in the Jordan Valley, and have managed to secure army authorization for a second night amid protests from local Palestinians

Hagar Shezaf
Hagar Shezaf
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
 the West Bank Jewish settlement of Ma'ale Efrayim in the Jordan Valley. W
The West Bank Jewish settlement of Ma'ale Efrayim in the Jordan Valley, last year.Credit: AP Photo/Oded Balilty
Hagar Shezaf
Hagar Shezaf

The IDF gave permission to settlers on Saturday to sleep in abandoned army post in the West Bank for the second consecutive night, in light of clashes between the Israeli military and local Palestinians.

A few weeks ago, the Nahala Movement expressed their intention to establish a new outpost in the northern Jordan Valley, after their evacuation from the illegal outpost of Evyatar in July.

Earlier on Saturday, clashes broke out following Palestinian protests at the site of the new outpost. One Palestinian was moderately wounded by live fire and four Palestinians were wounded by rubber bullets and tear gas. An IDF soldier and two settlers were also injured by stones.

The IDF said that the settlers' presence at the post on Friday night was approved in advance as a trip, and that they would be forced to leave on Saturday. However, the army said they authorized an additional night after the clashes and damage to vehicles.

On Friday, a Palestinian teen was killed and nine were wounded by Israeli military live fire in two separate clashes in the West Bank, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry and the Red Crescent reported.  

Mohammad Munir al-Tamimi, 17, who was seriously wounded during clashes in a West Bank village northwest of Ramallah, succumbed to his wounds overnight into Saturday the Palestinian Health Ministry reported.

Click the alert icon to follow topics:

Comments