The military prosecutor's office filed indictments Thursday charging the mother and brother of Ashraf Walid Saliman Na'alwa of knowing in advance that he planned to carry out a terror attack and doing nothing to stop him.
Na'alwa shot and killed on October 7 two Israeli co-workers and wounded a third at a recycling plant where he worked in the West Bank industrial zone of Barkan.
The 23-year-old Na'alwa, who hails from the West Bank village of Shuwaykah near Tul Karm, has been on the run since the attack and may be receiving support from a number of Palestinians who also helped him escape.
The indictment also noted that his brother was being charged with obstruction of justice for trying to hide video recordings from security cameras in their home.
- Defense Ministry: Israel has destroyed 45 homes of terrorists’ families in last 3 years
- Lieberman's party leaving coalition could block bill calling for death penalty for terrorists
- At site of terror attack, Jews and Palestinians determined to keep working together
Military prosecutors filed the indictment in the Samaria Military Court.
The mother allegedly knew her son had a gun and practiced using it; two weeks before the attack, he allegedly told her that he intended on carrying out an attack and dying as a martyr. The mother told his brother about the plan, but the two did nothing to stop him, the indictment stated.
Other individuals who knew of the plan but did not act to prevent it have already been indicted.
Military prosecutors asked the court to detain both the mother and brother until the end of the legal proceedings against them.
The two victims were identified as Ziv Hajbi, 35, and Kim Yehezkel-Levengrond, 29, both married with children. Before carrying out the murders, Na’alwa gave a co-worker a note in which he said he planned to commit suicide and praised late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.
A manhunt has been underway ever since the attack. Security forces raided Na’alwa’s hometown soon after the killings. They interrogated his relatives and arrested Na’alwa’s brother and sister, along with several other people from the village.
Defense officials believe Na’alwa did not act on his own and was part of local terrorist cell. The officials expect him to continue hiding with the help of Palestinians.
Last week, Palestinian media outlets reported that Israeli security forces had entered Shuwaykah and questioned his relatives. The head of the IDF Central Command, Maj. Gen. Nadav Padan, issued a demolition order for only the basement and ground floor of the family’s house.
The victims’ families criticized the move. Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman, who resigned from the Defense Ministry on Wednesday, was supposed to meet with representatives of the families. That meeting was canceled after recordings of Yehezkel-Levengrond’s father criticizing a defense official were released.