Biggest Flare-up on Israel-Gaza Border Since 2014 War – a Timeline

Four Israeli soldiers wounded and two Palestinians killed – how Saturday's events unfolded

Palestinian demonstrators taking cover during clashes with Israeli troops, near the Gaza border, February 16, 2018.

Saturday's flare-up on the Gaza border was the worst between Israel and Palestinian Islamic militants since the 50-day war in the summer of 2014.

Four Israeli soldiers were wounded when a device exploded on the border, two Palestinians killed after approaching the border and the Israeli military attacking 18 Hamas targets in response to the bombing.

Here's how events unfolded

Friday – More than 20 Palestinians wounded, according to Palestinian reports, during weekly demonstration on Gaza border. Israel suspects an explosive device was placed on border fence at this time, attached to a Palestinian flag.

Israeli soldiers standing next to the Gaza border fence near Kibbutz Nirim, February 17, 2018.

Saturday afternoon – Four Israeli sappers are wounded when they go to remove the flag and an explosive device is detonated. They are hospitalized at Soroka Medical Center, Be'er Sheva, suffering burns and shrapnel injuries. Two are in serious condition.

Saturday afternoon – In immediate response, Israeli military launches what it calls a "large-scale" assault on six Hamas targets, including two observation points and a cross-border attack tunnel.

Saturday evening – Palestinian rocket hits Israeli home in the Sha'ar Hanegev region, near the Gaza border, causing minor damage to the roof.

Saturday evening-overnight Sunday – Israeli army hits 12 more Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip.

A wounded Palestinian man being treated at Rafah hospital, in the southern Gaza Strip, February 17, 2018.

Sunday morning – Two Palestinians found dead near Gaza border fence after being hit by Israeli shells while approaching the border the previous evening. Two more Palestinians wounded and hospitalized.

Sunday morning – Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman tells Ynet that the Popular Resistance Committee in Gaza was behind the border explosion. "Until we eliminate them, the score remains unsettled. It will take two days, a week or two weeks."

Sunday morning – Four Israeli soldiers being treated in Soroka Medical Center, Be'er Sheva, suffering burns and shrapnel injuries. Two are in serious condition.

Lightning strikes over Gaza City during an early morning thunderstorm on February 17, 2018.