The Israel Defense Forces suspended a company commander on Sunday for a year after finding serious breaches in security following a terror attack on a West Bank settlement that left two soldiers wounded last week.
The soldiers, from the Kfir Brigade, were reportedly without their weapons at the time of the attack at a guard post adjacent to the Har Bracha settlement. In addition to the soldiers’ personal weapons, the guard post was also found to contain a backgammon board and snacks.
The platoon commander and sergeant in charge of the two soldiers were dismissed from their positions. The IDF has yet to decide how to deal with the two soldiers, who were moderately and lightly wounded in last Wednesday’s attack.
The IDF Spokesman said decisions would be made about their cases once they had recovered from their injuries.
“The investigation points to deficiencies in carrying out the mission and a serious deviation from the scale of norms and values of combat soldiers regarding responsibility for personal weapons, friendship and devotion to duty,” the military said.
The commander of the 340th Division, to which the Kfir Brigade belongs, accepted the results of the investigation and the recommendations made. A reprimand was also entered into his file.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now