Two armed Palestinians were killed in the Qalandiyah refugee camp in the West Bank on Monday during clashes with the IDF, after the army moved to demolish the home of a Palestinian who shot and killed an Israeli student in a June attack near the settlement of Dolev.
- High Court approves demolition of five terrorists' houses
- Terrorist who killed Israeli arrested in West Bank
- Report: Hamas-linked group claims responsibility for West Bank terror attack
According to the Israeli army, as the forces were taking down the home of Mohammad Abu Shahin, 39, who carried out the shooting attack at Ein Bubin and killed 25-year-old Danny Gonen on June 19, they sustained gunfire from Palestinians. No Israeli soldiers were harmed during the incident.
Palestinian sources reported that the two Palestinians were killed in the clashes, while three more were wounded by IDF fire. A spokesperson for the Israeli army said that three - and not two - Palestinians were killed after hundreds participated in the clashes, throwing firebombs and stones at the forces.
According to eye witness accounts of the clashes, a large IDF force entered the refugee camp and a gun battle erupted shortly after. The Palestinian health services identified the two Palestinians killed in the altercation with the army as Ahmed Abu Alayish, 28, and Leith Manasra, 21.
Last week, Israel's High Court of Justice approved the demolition of five houses linked to the perpetrators of a number of different attacks, among them that of Abu Shahin, who killed Gonen while the latter was hiking with a friend in the spring of Ein Buvin. Abu Shahin went to the spring a few times prior to the attack to gather intelligence on the presence of Israelis in the area, and in 2014 also committed additional shooting attacks, the Shin Bet Said after his arrest was cleared for publication in July.