The Islamic State claimed responsibility Saturday for a bomb attack in front of the Italian consulate in central Cairo earlier in the day, in which one person was killed.
"Through God's blessing, Islamic State soldiers were able to detonate a parked car bomb carrying 450 kg of explosive material on the headquarters of the Italian consulate in central Cairo," the group said on its Twitter account.
"We recommend that Muslims stay clear of these security dens because they are legitimate targets for the mujahideen's strikes."
State news agency MENA cited a senior security source as saying preliminary investigations indicated that a bomb was placed under a car near the consulate and remotely detonated.
The identity of the person killed was not immediately clear. A health ministry spokesman said four civilians were wounded. MENA separately said two policemen were among the wounded.
Italy's Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said there were no Italian victims in the blast. "Italy will not be intimidated," he said on Twitter.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo condemned the bombing, saying: "We extend our condolences to the family of the victim of this attack and wish the injured a speedy recovery." The embassy's statement added: "We reiterate our steadfast support for Egypt in its fight against terrorism."