You will need an oven proof pot, preferably a tall one with a lid. I use a 7” round, 4” tall, 2.5 quart dish. (You can get spaetzle at Whole Foods).
1 lb. Thick egg noodles as spaetzle, or spaghetti
2/3 cup corn oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Cook the noodles for 3 minutes less than what’s on their package. Drain, and put back in the pot.
2. Turn the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 degrees Fahrenheit).
3. Make the caramel - in a thick bottom pan, over medium-low heat, cook the sugar with the oil until the sugar becomes dark amber in color. pour over the noodles and mix.
4. Add the water, pepper, salt and eggs to the noodles and mix.
5. Spray an oven proof pot with oil. Pour the noodle mixture inside and cover with the lid. Cover the whole pot with aluminum foil to make sure the steam stays inside during the long baking.
6. Put the pot in the oven and cook over night, or for 6 hours.
7. Release the sides with a knife, cover the opening with a plate and flip the kugel into it.