Cocktails this holiday season can be given a special touch inspired by Sukkot's Four Species, the four agricultural products that are central to observance of the holiday, which in addition to its religious significance, is a harvest festival. Courtesy of Ziv Manor, here are three cocktail recipes that feature the Four Species: the etrog, or citron; the palm branch, or lulav; the willow, or arava; and the myrtle or hadas.
- Tourist tip #336 / The Four Species festival in Tel Aviv
- Four of Israel's best wineries
- Where is the Mideast's best bar? Tel Aviv, of course
- Sukkahs of Instagram: The top 10 Sukkahs of 2017
Cold etrog and willow punch
1 bottle Van Gogh pineapple vodka
1 bottle Van Gogh acai berry vodka
500 grams sugar
sour (lemon juice and sugar-water mixture)
4 oranges each cut into 8 pieces
2 lemons each cut into 8 pieces
1 bottle carbonated apple cider
1. Melt the sugar into a caramelized sauce on a low flame while stirring slowly.
2. Add the pineapple and acai vodkas, the oranges, lemons, willow and etrog and stir until boiling. Cover and then refrigerate after about 5 minutes.
Take a glass, preferably frosted. Coat the rim of the glass with white wine and garnish with blueberry puree. After it has cooled, pour the punch into the frozen glass until it is about half full, and then add the cider.
Warm hadas and lulav punch
1 bottle arak anise liqueur
1 bottle Van Gogh caramel vodka
hadas (myrtle), lulav (palm)
4 oranges cut into quarters that have been soaked in Van Gogh pineapple vodka for 2 days
melted milk and bittersweet chocolate
1. Gently melt the sugar, stirring slowly until it becomes caramelized.
2. Add the caramel vodka, arak, the myrtle and palm, oranges, cinnamon and vanilla stick. Stir until the mixture boils and cover.
Pour the liquid mixture into a glass, add the melted chocolate and sprinkle on the orange zest.
Lulav and date liqueur
1 bottle of regular Van Gogh caramel vodka
1 bottle of Van Gogh melon vodka
2 whole lemons
1. Place the palm and dates into a jar with a cap.
2. Fill the jar with the melon vodka and add the two lemons
3. Chill in refrigerator for 3 days.