Father Kills Baby; Family: He's Crazy

A 23-year-old Jerusalem resident, Nachman Anshin, is suspected of murdering his baby daughter, Fruma, Thursday night following an argument with his wife. Members of Anshin's family say he is not sane and that on the morning of the alleged murder he was referred for examination by a psychiatrist but did not show up for the appointment.

The Jerusalem Magistrate's Court on Friday extended his detention by seven days, during which he is to undergo psychiatric examination from both a police doctor and a psychiatrist representing Anshin's family. The Jerusalem district psychiatrist on Friday determined that he was fit to be in detention.

Anshin is a yeshiva student and member of the Bratslav Hasidic community. He and his wife, Esther, had been living in the Shmuel Hanavi neighborhood of Jerusalem. On Thursday night following an argument with his wife, Anshin reportedly threw his wife and the couple's 3-year-old daughter out of their apartment and locked himself in the apartment with the baby, Fruma. Reportedly fearing for the baby's safety, the mother called for help from their neighbors and police were called about 11 P.M.

Before the police arrived, a neighbor who had climbed onto a balcony reportedly saw Anshin hitting Fruma and knocking her head on the floor. The neighbor alerted a police volunteer who had arrived and the volunteer broke into the apartment. He reportedly subdued Anshin and found the baby bleeding on a bed. The neighbor told police he had heard Anshin yelling "Get out of here. I'm going to kill you," while beating the baby's head on the floor.

An acquaintance said in addition to suffering from emotional problems, Anshin had been under severe financial pressure, which led him to go to London where his parents live in an unsuccessful attempt to raise funds from the ultra-Orthodox community there. He had returned to Israel two days before the alleged killing of his daughter.

An emergency rescue crew attempted unsuccessfully to resuscitate the baby. Magen David Adom medic Rubi Shemesh said: "We found signs of severe violence on the baby [and she had] no pulse and was not breathing. She was bleeding from the mouth. She appeared to have bite marks on her arms and face."

She was pronounced dead at Bikur Holim Hospital in the city. Several dozen members of the ultra-Orthodox community came to the hospital and attacked police on the scene in an effort to prevent an autopsy of the baby's body. Police relented in seeking an autopsy in light of the prominent external signs of violence on the girl's body.