Brother Leads Police to Spot Where He Buried Murdered Sister

The victim had fled physical abuse from family members years before she was killed by her brothers, uncle.

The body of Nadia Abu Amar, who was murdered by her three brothers and her uncle in April of 2007, was uncovered yesterday in Rehovot. One of the brothers reportedly confessed under interrogation and led police to a field next to a cemetery in the city where the body was buried.

Following the confessions, three brothers and an uncle were convicted of homicide and abduction, after one of them implicated the others through a police informant who shared a jail cell.

The indictment in the case had alleged that in November of 2007, Nadia's brothers Abdullah, 19, Wadia, 22, Naif, 30, and their uncle, Omer Rami, 35, decided to abduct and kill Nadia in a isolated location. Wadia contacted her, pretending to be a man with romantic intensions. They arranged to meet later that month at the Hof Hacarmel train station in Haifa after Nadia's visit to her sister.

At the meeting place, Wadia and Abdullah reportedly ambushed her, put her in their car, and went to an isolated spot in the vicinity of Moshav Matzliach near Ramle, where Naif and Omar reportedly waited.

They are accused of taking her to the vicinity of the Rehovot cemetery, killing her, and burying her. They then reportedly burned her personal possessions and buried them as well.

In a plea bargain which still must be approved by the court, Wadia would be sentenced to 27 years in prison. Abdullah would receive a 12-year sentence, and Naif and Omer would be given six years in prison each.

At a February 8th hearing before the Central District Court, the judges were critical of the plea arrangement for not requiring disclosure of the location of Nadia's body. The attorneys in the case responded at the time that they had made every effort to locate the body.

The victim had fled physical abuse from members of her family years earlier. At age 18, she left her home in Ramle after reportedly refusing to marry a man chosen by her parents.

Her mother reportedly warned her that her brothers planned to kill her. She then lived for three years in shelters for victims of domestic violence. During her stay at a shelter in Jerusalem, where she lived until just before her death, she began to study painting.

About a year ago a friend of hers told Haaretz Nadia had hoped to study art and law at Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

At the same time, Nadia reestablished contact with some of the members of her family.

She went to Haifa in 2007 to visit her sister, and then disappeared. Jerusalem police initiated an investigation and, shortly thereafter, arrested seven family members on the suspicion that they abducted and murdered her, as first reported in Haaretz.

The judges warned that failure to locate the body could influence the sentences which they would impose in the case, and gave the parties a month to find the body.

The defense attorneys then made additional efforts to prevail upon the brothers to confess as to where the victim was buried. Yesterday, Wadia led investigators to the field near the Rehovot cemetery. The body was disinterred and has been brought to the Institute of Forensic Medicine at Abu Kabir in Tel Aviv for an autopsy.