Border Police Officer Lightly Wounded in Hebron Stabbing Attack

Two separate attempted attacks in Jerusalem, Hebron foiled after would-be assailants shot.

Moti Milrod

A Border Police officer was lightly wounded in a stabbing attack near Hebron Saturday morning, in the day's third such incident. The wounded female officer managed to shoot and kill the female Palestinian assailant.

Two separate attempted stabbing attacks in Jerusalem and Hebron were foiled Saturday morning after the would-be assailants were shot at the scenes of each incident.

The first attempted attack was foiled near Hebron's Jewish settlement enclave Beit Hadassah Saturday morning after an armed civilian shot and killed a Palestinian who attempted to stab him.

According to Palestinian sources, the assailant was Fadel Mohammed al-Qawasameh, an 18-year-old resident of Hebron. Palestinian officials expressed doubt over Qawasameh's intentions to carry out an attack. Further, a Hebron resident said that Qawasameh was not immediately killed, and that soldiers prevented Red Crescent emergency responders from providing medical treatment. However, there are photos documenting Israeli soldiers providing Qawasameh with medical treatment and attempting CPR.

Several minutes after the Hebron incident, an attempted stabbing attack was foiled in Jerusalem's Armon Hanetziv neighborhood when a Border Police officer shot and killed a Palestinian after he pulled a knife during questioning.

Border Police officers were searching for a Palestinian suspect after a citizen reported that he saw a person suspiciously walking around with a bag. After police officers identified the suspect and approached him for questioning, he pulled out a knife and attempted to stab them. They then shot and killed him. Magen David Adom emergency responders reported that there were no other casualties in the incident.

The suspected assailant was identified as Moatez Awisat, 16, a resident of the Jabal Mukkaber neighborhood of East Jerusalem and the second cousin of one of the two terrorists behind a deadly attack on a Jerusalem bus earlier this week.

On Friday, an Israeli soldier was stabbed and moderately wounded early afternoon in a suspected terror attack during clashes between Israeli forces and Palestinians just outside of Hebron. The terrorist was shot and killed on the scene. 

The attacker, 26-year-old Iyad Al-Awawda from the town of Dura, was dressed up as a photographer with a press camera and was wearing a clearly marked 'PRESS' vest.

Two Palestinians were killed in clashes with Israeli security forces in the West Bank and near the Gaza Strip border fence on Friday afternoon.

Since the beginning of this week three Israeli were killed and 39 were wounded in 16 terror attacks. Ten of this week's attacks were in Jerusalem – in the most serious attack, two Palestinians from the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Jabal Mukkaber stormed a bus in Armon Hanatziv armed with a gun and a knife, killing one and wounding 20 others. Shortly after, a Palestinian slammed his car into a bus station in Malkhei Yisrael Street in Jerusalem, killing one Israeli and wounding three others.

The terror wave started about two weeks ago, when Palestinians shot dead Naama and Eitam Henkin who were driving with their four children near the settlement of Elon Moreh in the West Bank. So far, seven Israelis were killed in terror attacks, and 13 terrorists were shot dead. Seven Palestinians, including five teens, were killed by Israeli troops' fire in clashes in the West Bank and in East Jerusalem. Twelve more were killed in the Gaza Strip by Israeli troops' fire and airstrikes.