Be'er Sheva Man Stabbed to Death After Asking Youths to Keep Quiet

A 36-year-old Be'er Sheva man was stabbed to death late Friday night after he scolded a group of young people who were making noise under his window.

Gadi Vichman, 36, a father of two, was pronounced dead at the scene. The police are looking for three young men and a young woman who are suspected of involvement in his Vichman's death.

Michal Vichman, the victim's widow, told Haaretz she was alone at home with her children when she heard noise and swearing and that she called the police, who said they had sent a squad car, but none arrived. At 12:30 AM, she said her husband came home and tried to put the children back to sleep after they woke up from the noise. He then went downstairs to ask the young people to be quiet. Michal Vichman said that from her balcony she saw a teenage boy walk quickly toward her husband, head-butt him and stab him.

"I saw him fall, holding his stomach. I went down to him and he drew two final breaths and that was it," she said. "When he went downstairs they head-butted him right away. There was a girl there who said, 'Let's go, leave him alone.' But they stabbed him with pieces of broken glass," said Vichman, noting that the family suffered from the noise of the teens every weekend.

The police confirm that they received two phone calls about the noise, at 12:15 AM and 12:20 AM, and that they sent a patrol car to the scene, and the police reported they saw nothing. Two hours later they received two phone calls reporting a fight and stabbing. The police said they arrived at the scene four minutes later.

A neighbor said he had called the police in the past a number of times about young people disturbing the peace.

Be'er Sheva's mayor, Rubik Danilovich, said he spoke yesterday morning to Police Commissioner Yohanan Danino and asked him to increase police presence on weekends in locations where disturbances were likely to occur. He said yesterday that he would be meeting today with the district commander and the commander of the Be'er Sheva police station.

"The handwriting was on the wall," said Shlomo Ben-Sasson, the head of the city's volunteer parents' patrol. "Problematic teens don't go to city parks anymore because those have security cameras. We are seeing a decline in police action and an increase over the past month of alcohol-related incidents."