Abbas Sends Condolences to Egypt on Sinai Bombing

Palestinian president describes bombing in which 30 soldiers were killed as 'terrorist attack.'

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas speaks during a press conference on October 8, 2014 in the West Bank City of Ramallah.Credit: AFP

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Saturday sent his condolences to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sissi after a suicide bombing in the Sinai Peninsula killed 30 Egyptian troops, the Palestinian independent news agency Ma'an reported.

Abbas condemned the incident, calling it a "terrorist attack," in a statement from the president's office.

He said he trusted that Egypt was capable of eradicating militants in Sinai.

Meanwhile, Abbas' Fatah movement also condemned the attack, saying it was an attack on the "Palestinian national project," without elaborating.

It was the deadliest attack on the Egyptian security forces since the army deposed democratically elected President Mohammed Morsi last year.

The government responded with a state of emergency in the north and center of the Sinai for a period of three months. A curfew is in force from 5 P.M. to 7 A.M. daily.

Egypt also announced it would close the Rafah crossing into the Gaza Strip, the only route into the Palestinian enclave that is not controlled by Israel.

Friday's attack, a car bomb detonated at a security checkpoint northwest of el-Arish, also left 29 other soldiers wounded, medics said.

Comments