Three Palestinians Killed in Clashes With Israeli Border Police Near Jerusalem

UNWRA says one of their workers among the fatalities, another wounded in the clash; Border Police says unit was attacked by hundreds of Palestinians while conducting arrest of terror suspect; Palestinians report 15 wounded, 6 in serious condition.

Three Palestinians were shot and killed Monday morning during clashes with Israeli Border Police in a refugee camp near Jerusalem. Fifteen Palestinians were wounded and six of them are in serious condition, Palestinian sources say.

According to reports, a large force of the Border Police entered Qalandiyah early in the morning to arrest a terror susepct. The officers arrived in commercial, non-military vehicles, at the house of the suspect when dozens of young Palestinians spotted them. A clash involving live fire ensued. 

A Ramallah hospital prounced the death of two young men - Rubin al-Abed, 28, and Yunis Jahjuh, 19 - from live fire, and a third Palestinian who later died from his wounds, sources at the hospital said. 

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East, or UNRWA, stated that one of the Palestinians killed in the clashes was one of its employees, a 34-year-old father of four.

According to UNRWA, the man was "on his way to work and not engaged in any violent activity." Another UNRWA staff member was also shot in the leg during the clash.

"During a nighttime incursion of security forces to arrest a suspect in Qalandiyah, southeast of Ramallah, they were met with violent and disorderly conduct by hundreds of Palestinians who attacked them," an IDF statement said. According to initial reports by the IDF, the military unit providing back up to the Border Police forces "worked to evacuate the officers, and when they felt immediate danger to their lives, they opened fire at the attackers," the statement said.  

Palestinians witnesses, however, contradicted the IDF's version of events, saying the Palestinians threw rocks and did not shoot at the soldiers.  

According to the IDF, a Palestinian terrorist was apprehended for interrogation during the incursion.

After Monday's episode, the number of Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in the West Bank rises to 13 since the beginning of the year. 

Last week, a Palestinian was shot and killed during clashes with Israel Defense Forces soldiers and Border Patrol officers in the West Bank city of Jenin during a similar attempt to arrest a suspect.