Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon on Friday visited the headquarters of the Israel Defense Forces' Northern Command, amid high tensions following an unconfirmed Israeli strike in Syria earlier this week.
- General's Death Brings Iran to Israel's Border
- Iran General's Death Likely No Accident
- Syria Attack Endangers Tacit Regional Accords
- Beauty Contest for Mr. Defense
During a security assessment, Ya'alon warned that Israel "will not tolerate any provocation from any front," after Hezbollah and Iran threatened to avenge the deaths of a Revolutionary Guard general and six Lebanese militants, who were killed in the attack.
"We must be prepared for any attempt to challenge us in light of the calls heard from the other side," he said. "It's important we continue to keep calm and be patient, and know how to respond in the most suitable way."
Ya'alon was joined by Maj. Gen. Aviv Kochavi, director of Military Intelligence; Maj. Gen. Yoav Har-Even, head of the operations directorate; and senior Northern Command officers.
Ya'alon was briefed on the military's readiness and said that Israel "will hold the governments, regimes and organizations beyond its northern border responsible for what happens from their territory, and it will know how to exact a price in any case of violation of Israeli sovereignty, [and harm to its] citizens and soldiers."
"We will not tolerate any attempt to harm us and we will know how to respond with force to any such attempt," he added.
The IDF on Thursday decided to station additional infantry, artillery, and tank forces in the north, as well as to shorten the Israel Air Forces' mandatory response time. Iron Dome batteries have been also deployed in the area.