UN Observers: Syria Strike Carried Out by Two Drones That Crossed From Israel

Peackeepers stationed in Golan report eyewitness account of Sunday attack, dismiss reports that attack was carried out by helicopter; troops say they saw smoke, but couldn't identify source.

ברק רביד - צרובה
Barak Ravid
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
UN peacekeepers observe Syria's Quneitra province at an observation point on Mt. Bental in the Israeli Golan Heights, Sept. 16, 2014.
UN peacekeepers observe Syria's Quneitra province at an observation point on Mt. Bental in the Israeli Golan Heights, Sept. 16, 2014.Credit: AP
ברק רביד - צרובה
Barak Ravid

United Nations peacekeepers in the Golan Heights have reported that the attack against the Hezbollah convoy in the Quneitra region on Sunday along the Syrian-Israeli border were carried out by two unmanned Israeli aircraft and not a helicopter, as initially reported.

The United Nations Disengagement Observer Force in the Golan Heights released an official statement on Monday describing its troops' witness accounts of the incident. According to the statement, the observers saw two unmanned aircraft coming in from the Israeli side of the border and crossing the demilitarized zone at UN position number 30 near the village Masada in the northern Golan Heights.

The peacekeepers "observed two unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) flying from the Alpha side and crossing the ceasefire line," UNDOF said in its statement, referring to the Israeli side of the border.

The UN observers lost sight of the aircraft as their approached the UN position, the statement said, and an hour later saw smoke arising from the general direction of the position. The origin of the smoke could not be identified, the statement added.

Soon after the observers saw the UAVs flying in from the area of Position 30 and over the Jabbata crossing of the cease-fire line.

"This incident is a violation of the 1974 Agreement on Disengagement between Israeli and Syrian forces," the UN said in its statement.

The strike on Sunday hit a convoy carrying Jihad Mugniyeh and commander Mohamad Issa, known as Abu Issa, in the province of Quneitra, near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, killing six Hezbollah members in all, a Hezbollah statement said. Iranian Revolutionary Guard Commander Mohammed Allahdadi was also killed.

Click the alert icon to follow topics:

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

The projected rise in sea level on a beach in Haifa over the next 30 years.

Facing Rapid Rise in Sea Levels, Israel Could Lose Large Parts of Its Coastline by 2050

Tal Dilian.

As Israel Reins in Its Cyberarms Industry, an Ex-intel Officer Is Building a New Empire

Queen Elizabeth II, King Charles III and a British synagogue.

How the Queen’s Death Changes British Jewry’s Most Distinctive Prayer

Newly appointed Israeli ambassador to Chile, Gil Artzyeli, poses for a group picture alongside Rabbi Yonatan Szewkis, Chilean deputy Helia Molina and Gerardo Gorodischer, during a religious ceremony in a synagogue in Vina del Mar, Chile last week.

Chile Community Leaders 'Horrified' by Treatment of Israeli Envoy

Queen Elizabeth attends a ceremony at Windsor Castle, in June 2021.

Over 120 Countries, but Never Israel: Queen Elizabeth II's Unofficial Boycott