Senior Hamas official Moussa Abu Marzouk on Sunday accused the Palestinian Authority of turning a blind eye to Israel's blatant violation of every understanding and agreement related to the closing of the Erez and Kerem Shalom crossings to the Gaza Strip.
- Israel to Shut Gaza Borders
- 'Egypt Postpones Israel-Hamas Talks in Wake of Sinai Attack'
- Gazans Demand Right of Passage to WB
- Hamas Arrests 5 Palestinians Over Rocket Fire
- Hamas Leader's Sister in Israeli Hospital
- Israel Reopens Two Gaza Border Crossings
- ‘Stable Instability’ Can’t Last Much Longer
Abu Marzouk, the deputy chairman of Hamas' political bureau a member of the Palestinian reconciliation delegation that negotiated indirectly with Israel both during and after this past summer's Operation Protective Edge, wrote Sunday on his Facebook page that Israel's explanation for its closing the crossings are invalid and crudely violate the understandings of the cease-fire.
He also said the closures constitute collective punishment of Gaza residents, in contradiction of all understandings, agreements and international law, adding it would be impossible to sit idly by.
Abu Marzouk said the Palestinian Authority must take responsibility and do what it takes to return PA workers to the crossings. According to Abu Marzouk, members of various Palestinian factions will meet later Sunday to discuss the implications of the closure as well as the lack of progress in rebuilding Gaza.
While participants pledged $5.4 billion for reconstruction in Gaza at the international donors conference in Cairo last month, little practical progress has been made. Meanwhile, Egypt postponed the negotiations that were supposed to be renewed at the end of October in the wake of the terror attack in nNorthern Sinai.