German television broadcast images of Ukrainian soldiers with helmets bearing Nazi symbols on Monday, according to NBC News.
- Ukraine Says Russian Tanks Flatten Town
- Europe anti-Semitism Crisis Not Yet a Catastrophe
- Fighting Engulfs Donetsk as Ukraine Truce Ends
- New EU Sanctions on Russia Over Ukraine in Effect
- 93-year-old Former Auschwitz Guard Charged
A camera team from Norwegian broadcaster TV2 shot the footage last week, NBC reported.
“We were filming a report about Ukraine’s Azov battalion in the eastern city of Urzuf, when we came across these soldiers,” Oysten Bogen, a correspondent for private television station ZDF, told NBC. Azov is a paramilitary defense battalion made up of volunteers.
Although a spokesperson denied that the battalion had fascist tendencies, insisting that "we are just Ukrainian nationalists," the images portrayed included a swastika and the stylized runes of the SS.