Barak: Attack on Israel-Sinai Border Is 'Wake-up Call' for Egypt Government

Sunday's attack was the largest assault carried out in Sinai by global jihad operatives against both Egyptian and Israeli targets.

new-hdc-logo
Haaretz
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
new-hdc-logo
Haaretz

Defense Minister Ehud Barak has said that Sunday's attack by insurgents in Sinai would serve as a "wake-up call for the Egyptians to take matters into their own hands."

Speaking during a briefing at the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee on Monday, Barak added that throughout the incident, Israel was in touch with the Egyptian side, and that a deadlier attack was avoided. He also praised the responses of the Israel Defense Forces, Southern Command and Shin Bet security service.

Though the identity of the assailants remains unknown, Barak said they are operatives of a global jihad network. He added that eight gunmen and 13 to 15 Egyptian soldiers were killed in the attack.

Sunday night's attack of the Egyptian military post and cross-border incursion was the largest attack carried out in Sinai by global jihad operatives against both Egyptian and Israeli targets.

Folowing the deadly strike on soldiers, Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi called for a meeting of the Supreme Military Council to discuss an action plan.

The attack took place while the Egyptians were breaking the daily Ramadan fast. Two armed groups whose members are identified with Al-Qaida raided the post, a few kilometers from Kibbutz Kerem Shalom, in two off-road vehicles.

They fired RPG rockets and machine guns at the position, one of the Egyptian army's key posts on the border. There were an estimated 20 soldiers at the post at the time of the attack.

The Fahd APC was hit in an Israeli air strike, preventing what military officials said could have been a deadly large-scale terror attack. A second personnel carrier exploded at the Kerem Shalom border terminal, which connects Israel, Gaza and Egypt, before the vehicle could enter Israeli territory.

IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz also visited Kerem Shalom on Monday morning with Southern Command Maj. Gen. Tal Russo and Yossi Bachar, commander of the Gaza Division.

One of the armored vehicles used in the attack. Credit: IDF Spokesman
Weapons seized by the IDF from global jihad insurgents in Sinai during a bust in August 2012.
IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz.
Police in the Gaza area, August 5, 2012.
6 of 6 |
Weapons seized by the IDF from global jihad insurgents in Sinai during a bust in August 2012.Credit: Archive / IDF Spokesman
1 of 6 |
IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz.Credit: IDF Spokesman
2 of 6 |
Police in the Gaza area, August 5, 2012. Credit: Eliyahu Hershkovitz
Armed militants attack Egypt outpost

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

SUBSCRIBE
Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

The projected rise in sea level on a beach in Haifa over the next 30 years.

Facing Rapid Rise in Sea Levels, Israel Could Lose Large Parts of Its Coastline by 2050

Tal Dilian.

As Israel Reins in Its Cyberarms Industry, an Ex-intel Officer Is Building a New Empire

Queen Elizabeth II, King Charles III and a British synagogue.

How the Queen’s Death Changes British Jewry’s Most Distinctive Prayer

Newly appointed Israeli ambassador to Chile, Gil Artzyeli, poses for a group picture alongside Rabbi Yonatan Szewkis, Chilean deputy Helia Molina and Gerardo Gorodischer, during a religious ceremony in a synagogue in Vina del Mar, Chile last week.

Chile Community Leaders 'Horrified' by Treatment of Israeli Envoy

Queen Elizabeth attends a ceremony at Windsor Castle, in June 2021.

Over 120 Countries, but Never Israel: Queen Elizabeth II's Unofficial Boycott