Haifa Bereaved Families Drop Lawsuit Against Shalit Prisoner Swap Deal

Fathers of teens killed in Haifa bus bombing file civil complaint seeking monetary compensation from terrorists in addition to the barring of their departure.

Revital Hovel
Revital Hovel
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Revital Hovel
Revital Hovel

After a Haifa District Court hearing that lasted about two hours, fathers whose children were killed in a 2003 terrorist bus attack in Haifa dropped a request for an injunction barring the three perpetrators from leaving the country once they are released as part of the Gilad Shalit deal.

Ron Kehrmann, whose 18-year-old daughter Tal was killed in the bus attack, and Yossi Tzur, whose son, Asaf, 17, was also killed, filed a civil complaint with the Haifa court Sunday morning, seeking monetary compensation from the terrorists in addition to the court order barring their departure.

Ron Kehrmann (right) and Yossi Tzur (left) filing a civil complaint at the Haifa court Sunday morning.Credit: Hagai Frid

The terrorists, Muad Abu Shrah, Fadi Juabeh and Majdi Amru, were each sentenced to multiple life terms for their role in the Haifa attack, in which 17 people were killed and another 30 were injured. The attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.

In filing the suit Sunday, the fathers of the two victims sought compensation for medical and psychological treatment. The fathers agreed to a compromise through which the state prosecution would assist them in delivering the court papers necessary for the compensation claim to proceed against the terrorists. Haifa district civil prosecutor Eytan Lederer told the court on Sunday that from his standpoint, the lawsuit was not a genuine effort to seek compensation from the terrorists but rather an attempt to delay or amend the terms of the prisoner exchange for Shalit.

He noted that the families had refrained from suing the three prisoners over the past eight years since the attack, and he also raised the prospect that their lawsuit might have been filed too late and is therefore barred by the statute of limitations.

The families' only avenue for challenging the Shalit prisoner exchange deal is through a petition to the High Court of Justice, Lederer contended. They are also entitled to state compensation, he noted, as the parents of victims of a terrorist attack.

Kehrmann told the court he had expected the prisoners would spend their entire lives behind bars. "The court is implementing the law," he said, "but it is not serving justice."

He and Tzur plan to march tomorrow from the terror victim memorial at the Mount Herzl national cemetery in Jerusalem to the Prime Minister's Office to protest the prisoner exchange.

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

SUBSCRIBE
Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

The projected rise in sea level on a beach in Haifa over the next 30 years.

Facing Rapid Rise in Sea Levels, Israel Could Lose Large Parts of Its Coastline by 2050

Tal Dilian.

As Israel Reins in Its Cyberarms Industry, an Ex-intel Officer Is Building a New Empire

Queen Elizabeth II, King Charles III and a British synagogue.

How the Queen’s Death Changes British Jewry’s Most Distinctive Prayer

Newly appointed Israeli ambassador to Chile, Gil Artzyeli, poses for a group picture alongside Rabbi Yonatan Szewkis, Chilean deputy Helia Molina and Gerardo Gorodischer, during a religious ceremony in a synagogue in Vina del Mar, Chile last week.

Chile Community Leaders 'Horrified' by Treatment of Israeli Envoy

Queen Elizabeth attends a ceremony at Windsor Castle, in June 2021.

Over 120 Countries, but Never Israel: Queen Elizabeth II's Unofficial Boycott