Israel Had Prior Warnings of Potential Terror Attacks From Sinai

Senior government official says security officials received warning of possible attack, but disagreed about its severity.

Barak Ravid
Haaretz
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Barak Ravid
Haaretz

Israel's security services received information about a possible terrorist attack from Sinai, a senior government official told Haaretz on Thursday. As a result, counterterrorism forces in Eilat were put on alert, as well as police forces. However, the official said there were internal arguments concerning the severity of the warning.

Two people were critically wounded Thursday evening when gunfire erupted close to the site of a deadly series of terror attacks earlier in the day in which eight people had been killed.

Israeli security officers patrol at a roadblock near Tzihor junction, about 60km (37 miles) north of the Red Sea resort of Eilat, August 18, 2011.Credit: Reuters

The eight were killed and dozens more were wounded in an apparently coordinated series of gun attacks and artillery strikes approximately 20 kilometers north of the southern city of Eilat, close to the border with Egypt.

A short time before the renewed gunfire, IDF aircraft struck targets in the Gaza Strip, killing at least six people, including a senior Palestinian militant.

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.

Subscribe today and save 40%

SUBSCRIBE
Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

Three Years Later, Israelis Find Out What Trump Really Thought of Netanyahu

The Rival Jewish Spies Who Almost Changed the Course of WWII

What Does a Jew Look Like? The Brits Don't Seem to Know

'I Have No Illusions About Ending the Occupation, but the Government Needs the Left'

Russia-Ukraine War Catapults Israeli Arms Industry to Global Stage

Israel Should End Gaza Operation Now, if It Can