Erdogan: Istanbul Suicide Bombers Were Turkish

DPA
DPA
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
DPA
DPA

ISTANBUL - Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan yesterday said two suicide bombers involved in Thursday's bomb attacks on British interests in Istanbul that killed at least 30 people were Turkish citizens.

Speaking at the funerals of two policemen killed in the attacks, Erdogan pointed out that all four suicide bombers were Turkish. He was referring not just to Thursday's incidents but also to the bomb attacks last Saturday on two Istanbul synagogues that claimed the lives of 25 people.

"It is unfortunate that among the victims are four who belong to the terrorists among our citizens," Erdogan said in translated remarks. "These people, who had connections beyond our borders, are the ones who did it ... We hope it will not happen again."

The suicide bombers hit the Istanbul headquarters of the London-based bank HSBC and the British consulate on Thursday in almost simultaneous attacks. More than 450 people were injured.

Among the dead were the British consul general, Roger Short, and a 58-year-old Australian national. The vast majority of the dead were Turkish.

Erdogan's comments came after Istanbul's police chief, Celalettin Cerrah, accused the Turkish media of contributing to the second set of bomb blasts in the city by prematurely identifying suspects behind the earlier bombs.

"If there hadn't been this irresponsibility, these victims would not be laying here today - 27 citizens would not have died," said the police chief, speaking at the same funeral ceremony. "We were about to arrest them. We were on their trail," said Cerrah, referring to the suicide bombers.

Even before the official identification of those behind the attacks on the two synagogues, Turkish newspapers named those suspected of procuring the explosive-laden vehicles.

Hurriyet newspaper on Friday named Azad Ekinci and Feridu Ugurlu as the two suicide bombers in Thursday's attacks and had earlier reported that they were involved in Saturday's attacks on the two synagogues.

Hurriyet yesterday reported that 18 people had been arrested in connection with Thursday's blasts.

The Turkish foreign minister said on Friday that there had been arrests but refused to go into details.

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

SUBSCRIBE
Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

The projected rise in sea level on a beach in Haifa over the next 30 years.

Facing Rapid Rise in Sea Levels, Israel Could Lose Large Parts of Its Coastline by 2050

Tal Dilian.

As Israel Reins in Its Cyberarms Industry, an Ex-intel Officer Is Building a New Empire

Queen Elizabeth II, King Charles III and a British synagogue.

How the Queen’s Death Changes British Jewry’s Most Distinctive Prayer

Newly appointed Israeli ambassador to Chile, Gil Artzyeli, poses for a group picture alongside Rabbi Yonatan Szewkis, Chilean deputy Helia Molina and Gerardo Gorodischer, during a religious ceremony in a synagogue in Vina del Mar, Chile last week.

Chile Community Leaders 'Horrified' by Treatment of Israeli Envoy

Queen Elizabeth attends a ceremony at Windsor Castle, in June 2021.

Over 120 Countries, but Never Israel: Queen Elizabeth II's Unofficial Boycott