Israel Strikes Gaza Strip for Second Time in Hours, IDF Says

Three killed, 10 wounded in two strikes on coastal enclave; Israeli army says strike thwart plans for major attack on Israel-Egypt border.

The Israel Air Force conducted a second strike of the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, just hours after the Israeli army confirmed it targeted a terror operative in the coastal strip.

Want to know more about Israel's military conflict with Hamas? Join the discussion on's official Facebook page

Gaza strike - AFP - 27.12.2011

A statement by the IDF Spokesman's Office said that the second strike targeted a global Jihad terror cell in the northern Strip that was planning to attack the western part of Israel's border with Egypt.

The IDF identified the two operatives targeted in the second strike as Rami Daud Jaber Kaferana, a global Jihad operative from the Gaza town of Jebalia and Hazzam Muhammad Saadi al-Shaker, a global Jihad man from the town of Beit Hanun.

It was not clear whether or not those operatives were killed in the attack.

IAF strike on Gaza - Reuters - April 8, 2011

Earlier Tuesday, Palestinians sources reported that an explosion killed one person and wounded three others in the Gaza Strip.

Palestinian reports indicated that the strike targeted and killed an Islamic Jihad operative.
According to the official Palestinian news agency WAFA, an Israeli reconnaissance craft fired a missile at a motorcycle in the Dowar Abu Sharkh area killing its rider.

A statement by the Israel Defense Forces indicated that the strike was the result of joint actions by Shin Bet and IDF forces and that the target had been a squad involved in recent terror activity.

Both airstrikes came days after it was revealed that the IAF struck two Gaza-bound arms convoys in the past month.

According to two Sudanese media outlets, Israel launched two attacks in recent weeks.

The outlets, however, don't present a uniform version on the dates. One claims the attacks took place at the end of November and on December 15, the other says they occurred on December 15 and December 18.

The attack at the end of November, one media outlet says, targeted two vehicles in the area of Wadi Al-Allaqi in northern Sudan, near the border with Egypt, and left two people dead and another two wounded.

The second incident, on December 15, saw Apache helicopters over an island off the Sudanese coast. Other reports spoke of Israeli submarine activity off the coast of the African state.

On the other hand, reports appearing in the Al-Intibaha daily speak of an attack on December 15 against a convoy of vehicles that left four civilians dead. The second attack, three days later, also reportedly targeted a vehicle. According to the report, all occupants of the vehicle were killed.

For its part, the Sudanese army has rejected reports of Israeli aerial activity over the country. The Sudanese army spokesman, Col. Sawarmi Khaled Saad, said the country's aerial defense systems had not recorded any infiltration into the country's airspace.

The Sudanese military over the weekend dismissed reports of recent Israeli airstrikes in the country.

Read this article in Hebrew