Video: Palestinians Shot Dead at Nakba Day Protest Did Not Threaten Soldiers

Footage released by international organization shows youths were far away from the clashes at moment they were shot in West Bank.

Video footage documenting the shooting of two Palestinians at Ofer Military Prison during a Nakba Day protest last week indicates the victims were far away from the clashes and not in a direct confrontation with soldiers. The cameras were positioned atop a Palestinian-owned store where the incident took place.

The video, distributed by Defense for Children International Palestine, shows both youths the moment they were shot. It doesn't appear as if they presented any threat at the time of the shooting. One of them was shot when his back was turned to the soldiers.

One of the eyewitness says he heard four shots within a few minutes of each other and saw three youths injured in the chest area, two of whom were killed on the spot, while the third was hospitalized in Ramallah.

The video clearly shows the first Palestinian teen being shot at 00:11, as he was approaching a crowd of others, while the second youth was shot at 0:31, as he turned his back to the soldiers.

"The images captured on video show unlawful killings where neither child presented a direct and immediate threat to life at the time of their shooting," said Rifat Kassis, executive director of DCI-Palestine.

"Israeli authorities must conduct serious, impartial, and thorough investigations to hold the perpetrators accountable for their crimes," added Kassis.

In addition to the video, Palestinians are also relying on a medical report authorized by Dr. Salim Saliba, head of Ramallah Hospital's trauma department that determines the two youth were hit by live bullets, not by rubber bullets.

The IDF denies live fire was used, but said the incident is under investigation.

"Last Thursday, a violent and illegal disturbance took place in Beitunia. The video in question was edited in a biased way and does not reflect the violence in the disturbance," the IDF said in a statement. "An initial investigation with the forces operating in area of disturbance did not use live fire. Nevertheless, the military prosecutor has ordered a limited internal investigation into the matter."

Screenshot, DCI-Palestine