Of all the challenges Passover brings about, finding a tasty, flour-free, kosher for Passover, parve cake is the hardest to meet. Even worse if you’re Ashkenazi, as gluten-free polenta cakes that are delicious every day of the year, are out of the question (corn), as well as any recipe with rice flour, corn starch and peanut butter.
What are we left with? Kosher for Passover quinoa is now available, and grinding it makes a workable flour with a nutty taste. Kosher for Passover baking powder is also available, as are potato starch, almond meal and almond butter.
And we have chocolate, and some good parve chocolate options.
So here are quinoa-chocolate brownies and chocolate espresso mousse. Parve and Kosher for Passover. Keepers for year round.
Passover parve brownies
Yields 8” x 8” pan
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, parve
4 eggs at room temperature
1 cup sugar
½ cup potato starch
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 tablespoons quinoa, ground in a blender (or 6 tablespoons quinoa meal)
½ cup almond butter
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips, parve
1. Oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 8” x 8” pan with oil and line with parchment paper.
2. Melt 4 oz. chocolate in a microwave. Set aside.
3. Put eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with the flat beater and mix on low-medium speed just to incorporate. Add potato starch, cocoa powder, ground quinoa and mix well. Add melted chocolate, almond butter and oil and mix just to incorporate. Mix chocolate chips in.
4. Pour into greased pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack.
Kosher for Passover and parve.
Add a pinch of ground cardamom if you’re a Kitniyot user.
½ lb. bittersweet chocolate, parve
½ cup strong espresso, warm
3 tablespoons almond butter or coconut oil
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Melt chocolate in the microwave. Add espresso, coconut oil and salt and mix until smooth. Add egg yolks and mix well.
2. Whip egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture.
3. Divide between 6 cuts. Chill for 4 hours or overnight.