No Change in Netanyahu's Plan to Speak in Congress, Says PMO Official

Earlier, sources close to the prime minister denied reports he was considering canceling the speech.

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, February 8, 2015. Credit: Alex Kolomoisky

An official at the Prime Minister's Office said on Monday that Benjamin Netanyahu has heard several propositions regarding his planned speech before a joint session of the U.S. Congress, but that there are currently no changes planned.

Earlier, sources close to the prime minister denied a Reuters report claiming Netanyahu was considering canceling his speech, toning it down or speaking behind closed doors. 

On Sunday, Netanyahu said that despite the growing criticism both in Israel and the United States, he plans to address the U.S. Congress to lobby against a nuclear deal with Iran, just as he went to Paris last month after the attack on a kosher supermarket.  

Meanwhile, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders announced he will boycott Netanyahu's speech. "I may watch it on TV," said the independent, who is Jewish and volunteered on a kibbutz in his youth, at a Washington conference.

Sanders joins a growing list of American lawmakers who have announced that they will not be present for the speech, including U.S. Vice President Joe Biden.

Comments