Man Arrested for Allegedly Killing His Girlfriend on Tel Aviv Street

A volunteer police officer says he spotted the suspect, an Eritrean citizen, assaulting the woman.

Yaniv Kubovich
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
South Tel Aviv, where a woman was killed on the street on Monday morning. Credit: Moti Milrod
Yaniv Kubovich

The body of a 29-year-old woman bearing signs of severe violence was found Monday on a street in south Tel Aviv. Her partner, an Eritrean citizen, was arrested for questioning, after a volunteer police officer testified that he saw the man strike the woman in the head with a large stone early yesterday morning. The officer, who just happened to be passing by the scene on Chelnov Street at around 7:00 A.M., detained the suspect.

Police forces and MDA paramedics rushed to the scene, where the woman was pronounced dead.

“A young woman ... lay unconscious on the road, without a pulse or breath, seriously injured and bleeding from her upper body,” recounted paramedic Ronen Cohen. “We tried to administer medical treatment, but her injuries were extremely severe and we had no alternative but to pronounce her dead.”

On Saturday night, a woman’s body was found in an orchard outside Moshav Hagor, near Kfar Sava, where a fire had erupted. Police say they suspect that the woman, who has yet to be identified, was murdered, and are still investigating the incident.

Ten days ago, a 37-year-old resident of Bat Yam was arrested on suspicion of murdering his wife after calling the police and confessing to the crime. Police who arrived at the scene found the woman’s body bearing signs of violence, including a stabbing gash in her neck, strewn on a mattress in the living room. The couple’s children, aged 7 and 10, were also in the apartment. At the beginning of the month Gabriel Ze’ev Kasimov, 37, of Petah Tikva was arrested on suspicion of murdering his partner, Irina Bongart, 30. In this case the suspect also called the police and announced that he had harmed a woman. Police found Bongart's body in the bathroom bearing signs of severe violence. She appeared to have been murdered using a sharp object that made a deep gash in her neck. The couple’s 5-year-old son was found locked in his room, apparently after the father decided to leave him there and left the apartment in an attempt to prevent the boy from seeing his dead mother.