Three of the six Jews suspected of being involved in the kidnapping and murder of 16-year-old Shoafat resident Mohammed Abu Khdeir last week will be released from custody today, the Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court ruled Wednesday.
- Death threats follow minister’s condolence call to family of burned teen
- Abbas: Israel waging war on all Palestinians
- An Israeli Jew's apology to Palestinians
The three are not suspected of the murder itself but of being part of the cell that committed it. The police and Shin Bet security service believe the murder was committed by the three main suspects – a 30-year-old man from a community near Jerusalem and two minors from the capital.
Sources close to the investigation said the three main suspects confessed to the murder and reconstructed it.
The three, who were arrested on the night between Saturday and Sunday, are likely to see their lawyers today, after a court banned them from doing so at the Shin Bet’s request.
The state told the court it was necessary to prevent the suspects from meeting with their lawyers for security reasons and in order to bring in additional suspects and evidence. Another suspect was arrested on Wedensday, but released a few hours later.
The suspects’ attorney Bentzi Kabler said, “we’re pleased that what we said about the suspects has been proved true — three civilians were brutally arrested without having anything to do with the act. As for the other three suspects, we’ll comment after meeting them.”