Australian authorities said a search plane had spotted objects in the new Indian Ocean search area where an international team is looking for wreckage from Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 on Friday.
The Australian Maritime and Safety Authority said it was awaiting images from the Royal New Zealand Air Force Orion, which was on its way back to base.
The sightings would need to be confirmed by ship, which was not expected until Saturday, AMSA said in its official twitter feed.
The search for the missing Malaysian jetliner was shifted 1,100 kilometer (685 miles) north on Friday after Australian authorities received new radar information from Malaysia.
The international team of aircraft and boats would now comb approximately 319,000 square kilometers of the Indian Ocean located around 1,850 kilometers west of Perth, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said on Friday, after new information was received from the Malaysian team investigating the incident.
"We have moved on from those search areas to the newest credible lead," John Young, general manager of the emergency response division of AMSA, told reporters in Canberra.
"The new information is based on continuing analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before radar contact was lost," a statement by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said.
The latest data seemed to show that the plane was travelling faster, and therefore may have run out of fuel earlier than previously estimated, it added.
Young said the revised data could be revised still further as analysis continued.
The Boeing 777 disappeared from radar screens around an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing on March 8.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now