A German-Israeli team undertakes the reconstruction of Auschwitz
Through painstaking study of plans and remains of the complex, a German architect and an Israeli historian join forces to 'recreate' the camp where 1.3 million people were murdered.
In December 1944, a month before the liberation of Auschwitz, the Germans inaugurated the death camp's last building. This was the so-called "reception building." It was a huge star-shaped structure intended for the reception of new inmates. A short time earlier, and a few dozen meters away, outside the main camp, another 20 new buildings had been constructed to house female inmates.